EUR

FR   EN   中文

CONNECTION
Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly
Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly - Lighting Style Restauration - Charles X Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly - Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly - Restauration - Charles X Antiquités - Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly
Ref : 79762
3 400 €
Period :
19th century
Provenance :
France
Medium :
Gilded and patinated bronze
Dimensions :
H. 10.24 inch | Ø 4.72 inch
Lighting  - Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly 19th century - Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly Restauration - Charles X - Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly Antiquités - Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly
Baptiste Jamez

Fine arts and antiques


+33 (0) 6 62 59 77 70
Royal torches from the Château de Neuilly

Pair of candlesticks in chiselled, gilded and patinated bronze composed of a column with a barreled barrel topped with a marquee formed of a basket loaded with flowers. The binet is decorated with gadroons and friezes of vines and the circular base decorated with vines, foliage, palm leaves and water leaves.
The base has several inventory marks attesting to their belonging to LOUIS-PHILIPPE I, Roi des Français (August 9, 1830 - February 24, 1848), for his residence Le Château de Neuilly.

Inventory marks: LP framing a crown, N, number 11332 and LPN under crown, for Louis-Philippe Neuilly.

Conditions report: old gilding, normal wear.


LOUIS-PHILIPPE I was born on October 6, 1773 in Paris, France, and died on August 26, 1850 in Claremont in the United Kingdom. First prince of the blood under the Restoration, Prince Louis-Philippe successively carried the titles of Duc de Valois (1773-1785), Duc de Chartres (1785-1790) and Duc d'Orleans (1793-1830) before access to the crown in 1830, following the overthrow of his cousin CHARLES X. He is the last French king.


LE CHÂTEAU DE NEUILLY ("Castle of Neuilly")

The origins of the estate go back to the reign of LOUIS XIV, the first castle having been built in the 17th century for Louis Béchameil de NOINTEL, superintendent of finance for the Duc d'ORLEANS and butler of LOUIS XIV. In 1740, he passed by will to Marc-Pierre de Voyer de Paulmy, Comte d'ARGENSON, chancellor of the Duc d'ORLEANS, who had the castle rebuilt on the plans of Jean-Sylvain CARTAUD (1751).

Once rented as a second home to Prince Charles-Maurice de TALLEYRAND-PÉRIGORD, who gave sumptuous receptions, Neuilly was acquired in 1804 by Prince MURAT who considerably increased the area and asked the architect Pierre-François-Léonard FONTAINE, architect of the Palais des Tuileries, Le Louvre, imperial manufactures all the Bâtiments de la Couronne located within the city walls of Paris, to build a left wing and supervise the decoration of the whole. Become king of Naples in 1808, all the property of MURAT is united to the Domaine Extraordinaire de la Couronne and the domain passes to Princess Pauline BORGHÈSE as an endowment.

In 1814, the domain returned to La Couronne and was acquired by the Duc d'Orleans, future LOUIS-PHILIPPE Ist. A new wave of enlargements of the gardens and the castle was carried out, which became the family’s summer residence, still under the direction of the architect FONTAINE.
The castle, whose facade has alternating glass doors and Ionian-style pilasters, is very wide open on the immense garden which then extends from the Ile de la Jatte to the gates of Paris.
It was then one of the favorite residences of the Famille d'Orleans, who made long stays there during the reign of LOUIS-PHILIPPE.

On February 25, 1848, the castle was looted and partially burnt down by rioters. Only the right wing known as Madame Adélaïde's Pavilion remains.

The domain was sequestrated by NAPOLEON III in 1852 and sold in lots from 1853. The right wing was bought in 1907 by Congregation des soeurs de Saint-Thomas de Villeneuve, who had it redeveloped by the architect Maurice HUMBERT, and settled there definitively on September 23, 1908.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

• DE BASCHER Jacques, La Vierge noire de Paris, Paris, Téqui, 1980.
• FONTAINE Pierre-François-Léonard, Château de Neuilly. Domaine privé du roi, Paris, Imprimerie de Pihan Delaforest, 1836.
• GARRIC Jean-Philippe, Percier et Fontaine : les architectes de Napoléon, Paris, Belin, 2012.

Baptiste Jamez

CATALOGUE

Candleholder & Candelabra Restauration - Charles X