An oil on panel measuring 81X65 cm (without the tabernacle frame) representing a church signed lower right and dated 1920 by Jean Du Marboré (1896-1933).
French painter and engraver born on January 4, 1896, died in Paris in 1933.
Marboré is the name of a mountain of the Pyrenees he had chosen as a pseudonym, his real name was Jean Pitsh.
Coming from a modest background, Jean Du Marboré was self-taught.
Painter of portraits, landscapes, post-cubist still lifes. He exhibits regularly since 1922 at the Salon d'Automne and the Salon des Independants in Paris. His workshop Montmartre was next to that of his friend: SEI KOYANAGUI (1896 - 1948).
He died prematurely in 1933.
One of these works can be found in the collections of the National Museum of Modern Art (Pompidou Center).
Emmanuel BENEZIT: Dictionary of painters, sculptors, draughtsmen and engravers. Paris. Gründ. 1999. Vol.4, p.842a.
André ROUSSARD: Dictionary of painters in Montmartre. Paris. Editions A.Roussard. 1999. s.n. 'From Marboré' (sic) p.212.