Japanese “cloisonné” enamel
French gilt-bronze mounts
Beautiful pair of polychrome “cloisonné” enamel display dishes attributed to A. Giroux, decorated with birds flying over rushes and flowers on a sky blue background, bordered with a stylized foliate motif frieze. Finely mounted with gilded bronze ornaments such bamboos, masks and scrolls.
Alphonse Giroux and company, famous curiosity and luxury goods shop was situated at No. 7 rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré and in business from the time of the Consulate until the end of the Second Empire. The company was founded by Francois-Simon-Alphonse and continued in 1838 by his two sons, Alphonse-Gustave (1810-1886) and André (1801-1879).
The father became a close associate of the royal family and specialized in the manufacture of refined items for gifts, winning a silver medal at the in 1834. Kings Louis XVIII and then Charles X were both supplied with gifts for “The Children of France” by Giroux. Making progressively small furniture, they were mentioned for the first time in 1837 in the class “cabinet-makers” in the Paris Almanach. It was Alphonse-Gustave, however, who really expanded the activities of the firm as is testified by the report of the jury at the 1839 Products of Industry Exhibition awarding him another silver medal. Alphonse was also quick to participate in the famous and soon figured among the best in the luxury goods business. After buying a writing desk at the 1855 Universal Exhibition Napoleon IIIrd bought several other pieces of furniture, candelabras and clocks from Giroux for the Compiègne Palace. In 1857 Alphonse Giroux transferred his shop to No. 43, boulevard des Capucines where he continued to do business until 1867, when he ceded the company to Duvinage and Harinkouck.
8 500 €