In finely chiseled bronze and gilded with Ormoulu mat gold or amati gilded burnished gold, diamond-shaped support formed by a bundle of lictor with an applied decoration of palmettes and a lion's mouth issuing three trumpet-form candle arms with a knight's helm, Feuchère delivered in 1820, 4 identical Wall Lights for the Garde Meuble: a pair was deposited at the hotel of the Ministry of the King's house, another at the Tuileries Palace in 1823. This model combining decorative elements inspired by the antique and other purely medieval characterizes nascent eclecticism in the decorative arts in France under the first Restoration.
Literature: “Les bronzes du mobilier national”, Marie-France Dupuy-Bayet, Faton 2010, cat 145 p. 265 and another pair is shown in "Vergoldete Bronzen" by H. Ottomeyer and P. Proschel. Munich: 1986 Vol II p. 668 fig. 2
Pierre-François and Lucien-François Feuchère
This workshop, founded by the bronzier-gilder Pierre-François Feuchère (1737-1823) and active since the reign of Louis XVI, became in the first two decades of the 19th century the main competitor of that of his Parisian colleagues Pierre-Philippe Thomire, Claude Galle and André-Antoine Ravrio. His son Lucien-François (active 1780-1828), master chaser, assisted his father in the development of the workshop under the Empire by creating original pieces commissioned by a wealthy French and international clientele, in particular by certain great German aristocrats and Austrian.
2 500 €
4 800 €