Oil on pannel Port of MARSEILLE by Alfrid SMITH
Born in July 1853/54; Bordeaux, Gironde. Died in 1936
Portrait painter, animated landscapes, landscapes, still life, postimpressionist
Student of H Pradelles and L Chalery.
He began at the 1880 Salon and obtained an honourable medal in 1886, a third class medal in 1888, a bronze medal in 1889 and a bronze medal in 1900 at the Universal Exhibition and a knight of the Legion of Honour.
Alfred Smith has adopted several styles during his career. He was first known for his mastery of atmospheric effects in his paintings of Bordeaux. These paintings were executed in his workshop. Others were painted outdoors, which earned him the nickname of the "painter of the undergrowth".
After a visit to Venice he adopted a rather impressionist style and from 1912 onwards he evolved towards fauvism.
• Bordeaux, Musée des beaux-arts :Venise matin brumeux, 1912- Bord de la Creuse à Crozant- Martigues - Un Arbre à l'automne - La Gondole, 1905 - La Meule, 1905 - Les Quais de Bordeaux, 1892 - Le Quai de la Grave à Bordeaux(1884)
• Cognac, Musée d'art et d'histoire : Le fumeur de pipe (1893)
• Dijon, Musée des beaux-arts Paysage (1891)
• Guéret, Musée de la Sénatorerie : La Sédelle en octobre à Crozant(1923)
• Pau, Musée des beaux-arts :La Place de la Concorde sous la pluie (1888)
• Paris, Musée d'Orsay :Sous-Bois (1891) - Harmonie d'été (1911 - Portrait de la mère de l'artiste
• Rouen, Musée des Beaux-arts Jeune fille lisant (c 1910)
• Savannah, Telfair Museum of Art : Déjeuner sous les bois - Vue de Bordeaux du Pont de Pierre
• Venise, Museo Ca'Pesaro : Les quais de Bordeaux, le matin
Delevery information :
Shipping all destinations
3 800 €