Offered by Galerie William Diximus
Louis Krevel, Portrait of Emil Albano Korte and his family, circa 1856, oil on canvas, approx. 205cm x 140cm without frame 225X 160
Dimensions without frame: Length: 205cm Width: 140cm
Dimensions with frame: Width: 225cm Width: 160cm
The German portraitist Louis Krevel (1801-1876) is described as one of the most important personalities in the history of early nineteenth-century Rhine painting. A solo exhibition in 2002 at the Städtische Museum Simeonstift in Trier paid tribute to the painter whose artistic production of the Biedermeier period remains little known in France. Louis Krevel first learned his trade from his father and then from the private painting and drawing school run by Justus Krauskopf (1787-1869). He then went to Paris, where he exhibited at the Salon in 1828. On his return, he painted mainly portraits of the new industrial bourgeoisie of Cologne and the Saar-Moselle region.
Our portrait represents the industrialist Emil Albano Korte (1817-1895), his first wife Amalia Rolffs (1823-1864) and their three children. The eldest of the children, Gottlieb Albano Friedrich Korte (1848-1902) is shown in dark costume alongside his father. Julie Natalie Korte (1852-1921) on the left is wearing a pink ruffle dress. She leans on her hand a small bird distracting her sister Liuse Pauline (1855-1943) sitting on the lap of their mother, whose movement brightened the front pose of the group. The pyramidal composition of the painting accentuates the stability of this family portrait and the tender complicity between its members. The landscape in the background offers both a natural setting while suggesting the extent of the Korte family's landholding. Louis Krevel meets the expectations of sponsors in search of official representation.
Eva Elisabetha Schmidt, Louis Krevel, 1801-1876: Leben und Werk: ein Beitrag zur Porträtmalerei der ersten Hälfte des 19. Jahrhunderts, Bonn (Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität), 2009 (reproduced in the appendix).
Louis Krevel's works in the Saarlandmuseum-Alte Sammlung collections in Saarbrücken:
- Portraits of Marie Louise Stumm, geb. Böcking and Carl Friedrich Stumm
- Portrait of Elisabeth Böcklig, geb. Artois
- Portrait of Eduard Böcklig
- Portrait of Louis (Ludwig) Wilhelm Theodor Schmidt
- Portrait of Heinrich Böcking
- Portrait of Sophie Johanna Philippine Schmidt,
Works of Louis Krevel in the collections of the Rhenish Museum of Trier
- Portrait of Johann Ferdinand Stumm
- Portrait of Juliane Henriette Luise Kraemer, geb. Röchling
- Portrait of Adlof Heinrich Kraemer
Louis Krevel's works in German public collections:
- Portraits of Princess Flaminia zu Salm-Salm, ge. Rossi and Prince Wilhelm Florentin zu Salm-Salm, Museum Waserburg Anholt in Isselburg.
- Portrait of Henriette Christine Marie Stumm, verm. Von Strantz at the Rhine Museum Bonn.
- Portrait of Aldof Heinrich and Juliane Henriette Luise Kraemer and their children at the Städtisches Museum Simeonstift in Trier.
- Portrait of Caroline Clara Cramer at Städtisches Museum Simeonstift in Trier.
- Portrait of Philipp Heinrich II Kraemer with his family, museum of Saint Ingbert.
- Portrait of Otto and Sophie Merkens at the Museum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte in Dortmund
- Portrait of Johann Wilhelm Josef Hubert Hennekens at Kölnisches Stadtmuseum Köln.
35 000 €
58 000 €