Claude Galle (1759-1815) chaser and gilder
A pair of large Empire gilt-bronze four-light wall lights.
Finely chiseled and gilded bronze, with matte and burnished gold finish. The arrow-shaped plate is decorated with a mask of Diana wearing a crescent moon in a radiant sun motif, symbolizing night and day. The four trumpet-shaped arms are held together by a lion mask.
Paris circa 1805.
- Two identical pairs of wall lights, made entirely of gilt bronze, were supplied by Galle on the 21th september 1806 for the Grand Reception Room of the French Secretary of State at chateau de Fontainebleau. "quatre bras de cheminée en bronze doré, flèches, têtes de Diane, palmettes et cors de chasses à 4 lumières". (French National Archives, O² 500, d. 2, p. 14).
Reproduced in J.P. Samoyault, Musée national du château de Fontainebleau, Pendules et bronzes d'ameublement entrés sous le Premier Empire, Paris 1989, no. 114, p. 141.
- Two other pairs were also supplied by Galle for the Dining Room of the Grand Trianon at Versailles on the 23rd December 1809: "two pairs of wall-lights with an arrow design, the head of Diana bearing four lights in matt-textured gilt bronze"
- Within in the inventory of Galle's stock that was drawn up on the 1st April 1815 after his death, there is an entry for "a pair of wall-lights with an arrow design and head of Diana with four lights.
This pair is reproduced and discused in the following books :
- J.P. Samoyault, Musée national du château de Fontainebleau, Pendules et bronzes d'ameublement entrés sous le Premier Empire, Paris 1989, n°114, p.141.
- Denise Ledoux-Lebard, Inventaire général du musée national de Versailles et des Trianons, Le Grand-Trianon, Meubles et Objets d'art, Éditions des Musées nationaux, Paris, 1975, p. 174.
- Ernest Dumonthier, Les bronzes du Mobilier national, Bronzes d'éclairage et de chauffage, Massin, Paris, pl. 29, ill. 3.
-Hans Ottomeyer et Peter Pröschel, Vergoldete Bronzen, Tome II, Klinkhardt & Biermann, Munich, 1986, p. 706, fig. 23.
One of the most prominent bronzier of the late Louis XVI and Empire periods, Claude Galle was born in Villepreux near Versailles. He apprenticed in Paris under the founder Pierre Foy, whose daughter he married in 1784. After becoming a master in 1786, Galle took over the workshop upon his father-in-law's death in 1788, which became one of the largest in Paris, employing nearly 400 artisans at the height of its activity. Galle first relocated the workshop to Quai de la Monnaie and then to 60 Rue Vivienne in 1805.
During the Ancien Régime, the "garde-meuble de la couronne" honored him with several commissions, and during the Empire, Galle supplied the majority of the bronzes for furnishing of the Château de Fontainebleau. He was one of the official suppliers to the Imperial Garde Meuble for lighting fixtures, clock boxes, and vases, which he delivered to the palaces of Saint-Cloud, Trianon, the Tuileries, Compiègne, and Rambouillet. He also supplied the Italian palaces of Monte Cavallo in Rome and Stupinigi near Turin.
Delevery information :
Please contact us upon this matter. For delivery abroad, we will ask door to door transportation to be quoted by independant shipping companies,
7 800 €
19 000 €