Around 1500, Our Christ of the Resurrection is made of linden wood. Sculpted in the round, and polychromed, it was a crowning figure of an altarpiece. From the height of his 69 cm (whose meaning is stability), standing and wrapped in a single red cloak, Christ blesses with his right hand. This iconography of the triumphant Christ spread widely from the 15th century.
The model created by the Alsatian artist, Martin Schongauer becomes a reference for the Rhineland and Germanic artistic circles. Here the three holes visible in the head were intended to fix the golden rays emanating from the divine figure, like the Christ of the resurrection represented on the artist's engraving kept at the Musée de Condé.
The two fingers also represent the Divine and the human.
Accidents on the left hand, wood-boring insect holes, polychromy accidents, three holes for the missing rays and missing shaft
Provenance: Alsatian private collection, by descent.
A niche, like an Italian tempietto from the end of the 18th century, beginning of the 19th century, in the neo-Gothic style. Flanked by six Corinthian columns, this niche is very nicely gilded and ornate.
It constitutes an elegant crucible to honor and protect Christ.
Height of 100 cm by 50 deep. Significant gaps, mainly on the columns.
3 900 €
14 000 €