With scrolling backs and moulded splats, the armrests carved with palmettes and resting on round columnar supports, raised on baluster-shaped front legs and splayed back legs, Circa 1805.
Stamped JACOB . D. RUE. MESLEE and bearing the mark for the Château de Fontainebleau.
Following delivery labels they were made for the Prince Piombino's bedroom.
The firm of Jacob-Desmalter was by far the largest supplier of furniture to all the former French royal palaces that Napoleon restored for Imperial use. The firm’s accounts record that between 1803 and 1811 orders totalling 286,250 francs were delivered to Fontainebleau, including this pair of armchairs. Most of the furniture supplied to Fontainebleau during Napoleon’s reign remained in the château throughout the Restoration, Louis-Phillipe and Second Empire periods, and it was only after the fall of Napoleon III that some of the contents were auctioned off by the new government of the Third Republic in 1882. It is probable these chairs would have left the château at this time.