A pair of blue and orange-brown glazed ceramic baluster vases.
The light blue neck is decorated with black triangular festoons with openwork clovers. The body of the vase is decorated with toned plant and floral patterns under the cover, and stylised daisies with pink and yellow petals enamelled in relief decorate the upper part.
Liberty of London :
The Liberty shop was founded in 1875 by Arthur Lasenby Liberty, initially selling items imported from the British Empire such as silks and Japanese porcelain. In 1884, under the impetus of Edward William Godwin, an architect and designer close to the Aesthetic Movement and Art and Craft, a textile and costume department was introduced, which brought it worldwide renown. Liberty of London's productions are in tune with the times, thanks to a number of artistic partnerships from the late 19th and early 20th centuries with William Morris, Dante Gabriel Rossetti and Archibald Knox. In addition to importing ceramics from Germany and Hungary and selling Wedgwood and Poole earthenware, the company also produced its own pieces, thanks particularly to its close links with the Moorcroft factory. As a result, Liberty played a part in the spread of Art Nouveau in England and influenced many artists, particularly in Italy, where Art Nouveau became known as Stile Liberty.
Arts & Crafts in Britain and America, Isabelle Anscombre et Charlotte Gere, Academey Editions, London, 1978
The Aesthetic Movement, Prelude to Art Nouveau , Elizabeth Aslin, Elek Books Limited, London, 1969
1 300 €