Italian cabinet opening by 3 doors in the upper part and two doors in the lower part.
In Moorish style marquetry with stars, rosettes, flower scrolls, foliage and reserves in ivory, bone, copper, brass and pewter on a walnut and ebony background, it presents in its doors and on the pediment mythological scenes and characters inspired by the Renaissance.
This piece of furniture may be attributed to the cabinetmaker Adriano Brambilla, who was active in Milan in the second half of the 19th century. The furniture, with its extremely rich lines and decoration, is a typical example of the stylistic eclecticism in vogue in Italy during the last quarter of the 19th century. The rich marquetry in ivory, mother-of-pearl and ebony responds to the taste for exoticism that was widespread in Italy from the middle of the 19th century, as evidenced by the decoration of Villa Crespi Orta San Giulio and the decoration of the Queen's Toilet Room in the Castle of Moncalieri. Several cabinetmakers followed this style. Among them were C. Gasparini and Adriano Brambilla who were active in Northern Italy during the last quarter of the 19th century. Their works try to recreate the precious chromatic effects of Renaissance furniture by using subjects referring to Italian artistic glories. The Milan-based cabinetmaker used the techniques and typology of sixteenth-century furniture but revisited them according to the eclectic taste of the last decades of the nineteenth century, mixing different styles and ornamental languages, often combined with elements of his own fantasy. He participated in the Italian National Exhibition in Milan in 1881 and some of his furniture was bought by Antonio Borgogna. They are now kept in the Borgogna Museum in Vercelli, Italy.
Accidents and some missing pieces; foresee a restoration for a "perfect" piece of furniture, if not quite presentable as is.
Italian work attributed to Brambilla, Northern Italy, Lombardy, circa 1880.
12 500 €