Elegant and large serpentine basin representing the "Warwick" vase. Italy early 19th century. The Warwick Vase is a monumental Roman-era marble vase adorned with Bchicus motifs discovered in the ruins of Emperor Hadrian's villa circa 1771 by a Scottish painter and antiquarian in Rome named Gavin Hamilton. The vase was then restored under the advice of the ornamental architect Piranesi. After the refusal of the British Museum, it was sold in 1878 to Georges Greville second Earl of Warwick who placed it in front of his castle. In 1978, it was purchased by the Burrell collection, which has since exhibited it in Glasgow.
6 800 €