Rare pair of solid mahogany armchairs finely carved.
The backs with fluted columns topped by spinning tops are joined by two molded crosspieces.
In the center, a very fine openwork decoration is composed of two arches facing each other, tied back to back to a quiver furnished with arrows.
The armrests with "Greek-style" recesses rest on baluster shafts.
The circular seat is supported by four fluted spindle feet.
Traditional upholstery (horsehair and webbing); covered with a tan leather.
Very good condition, small restorations of use.
Small scattered remains of black paint in the hollow of the carvings which indicate to us that they were formerly painted in black.
(we left voluntarily these moving traces because it is probably an old setting at half-mast following the death of the royal couple, a practice that was very common among the royalists)
Parisian work of the Revolutionary period around 1794-1795, attributable to Georges Jacob.
Height : 95 cm ; Width : 60 cm ; Depth : 56 cm
For seats with similar decoration:
Two mahogany and lemon tree chairs stamped " Jacob Frères rue Meslée ", Osenat sale 23 March 2014, Lot 214
The pair of rare armchairs we present is typical of the revolutionary productions of Georges Jacob.
Following the arrest of the royal family, he gradually ceased the production of the traditional Louis XVI seats, painted or gilded, with several registers of sculptures, which made his reputation.
Influenced by British productions, he opted more and more for solid mahogany and for warlike decorations (spears, shields, bows, etc.) inspired by the revolution but also by the Italian campaigns, with an antique repertoire straight from the Roman Empire.
Our decor is certainly very masculine, but it can also be understood as a nod to the goddess Artemis (Diana), whose attributes are the bow and quiver.
During this period, Jacob collaborated with the great painter Hubert Robert, who designed for him the most beautiful antique-style chairs, intended to be made of solid mahogany, like those of the Rambouillet dairy.
Unfortunately, his post-revolutionary production is difficult to identify because it is almost never stamped.
Let's remember that Georges Jacob went before the revolutionary court three times for having worked for "Capet and the nobles".
He was only released on July 27, 1794 from the prison of the conciergerie thanks to the intervention of the painter David and his promise to provide 500 pistol sticks free of charge to the Committee of Public Safety.
From his release, he will work in a more discreet way and will leave the reins of his company to his two sons, from the year 1796.
His sons worked under the banner of "Jacob frères" from 1796 to 1803.
The stamp of two chairs dating from 1796-1798 and bearing a similar decoration, allows us to attribute with certainty the authorship of our two chairs to the greatest carpenter of the old regime.
These chairs were not meant to be used for lounging, but as part of an antique decor.
In our opinion, they constitute the quintessence of Georges Jacob's revolutionary production.
*Georges Jacob (1739-1814) is a carpenter received master in Paris in 1765.
He is simply one of the most prolific carpenters of the second half of the 18th century.
Supplier of Queen Marie Antoinette, he collaborated with the greatest decorators of his time: Hubert Robert, for example, for the armchairs of the Rambouillet dairy, but also Delafosse, Prieur or Percier and Fontaine.
He supplied the palaces of Versailles, St Cloud, Les Tuileries, Fontainebleau...
His period of activity is from 1765-1796.
Then he gave the company to his two sons who founded Jacob Frères.
He died in 1814.