Original canvas of 75 cm by 55 cm
Beautiful old frame of 90 cm by 71 cm.
Our painting is attributed to Jacob Toorenvliet (1640; 1719). It was most certainly painted around 1670 during the painter's stay in Venice, where he stayed for three years, or during his stay in Rome (period from 1670 to 1674). Moreover, the work undoubtedly remained in the Kingdom of Veneto until the 19th century as the stamp on the back seems to show.
This stamp bears the emblem of the Hohenzollerns, masters of the kingdom of Veneto until 1866 and the inscription (... ESPORTATIONE ... R.ACCADEMIA.DI.MILANO), therefore the authorization to leave the kingdom of Veneto by the authorities of the time.
Our painting is similar to the work sold by Sotheby's New York in 2011 (for an amount of € 62,000 without costs), not for the subject treated (discussion of Rabins) but for the rendering, the faces, the background, the hand on the armrest of the chair ...
It represents Jesus sharing bread with the pilgrims who share his table. (The pilgrims to Emmaus, or disciples of Emmaus, are two characters from the New Testament who appear in the Gospel according to Saint Luke (chapter 24, verses). 13 to 35) One of the two is called Cleophas while the name of the other remains unknown.
Jacob Toorenvliet (1640, 1673)
Jacob Toorenvliet was born in 1640 in Leyden in what is now the Netherlands. His father Abraham Toorenvliet is a master glassmaker and a drawing teacher. The young Toorenvliet studies with Frans van Mieris de Oudere and Matthijs Naiveu with his father who is considered a respected teacher. Subsequently, he studied with Gerrit Dou, his father's son-in-law, until 1659, when he left for a long trip to Europe.
Toorenvliet is active in many cities during his career, mainly in Italy and the Netherlands. He was in Vienna in 1663, and in Rome for a commission in 1669. He traveled with Nicolas Roosendaal (1636–1686), a painter from 'Enkhuizen'.
From 1670 to 1673 they lived in Venice, and undertook another trip to Rome in 1671, where Toorenvliet became a member of the Bentvueghels with the nickname Jazon. He returned to Vienna in 1673, and remained there until 1674. He returned to Leiden in 1679 and Amsterdam in 1680. He returned to live again in Leiden in 1686 and remained there until his death. He became a member of the Guild of Saint Luke of Leiden and held many positions there from 1695 to 1712. In addition, he was the co-founder of the city's Drawing Academy in 1694 with Willem van Mieris and Carel de Moor. He died at Oegstgeest in 1719.