A magnificient Baroque Italian cabinet with prismatic structure of architectural inspiration. It has a closed front with two doors and is finished with a molding, a molded cornice and a sloping flat roof, with slightly curved sides. The base also follows inspiration from classical architecture and was designed as a molded base. The front of the cabinet, the two doors, show a woodcut decoration, with an inscription in Italian: CITTÁ DI CANDIA ASEDIATA DI OTOMANI (city of Candia besieged by the Ottomans) and the site representation of the city of Candia (modern Heraklion , Crete) by the Ottomans, which took place between 1648 and 1669. It was a city belonging to Venice, and suffered what is probably the longest siege in history. The upper molding, which houses a continuous drawer, is also decorated by means of pyrography, with plant motifs. The sloping roof is an arch, with a hinged top cover and an independent lock.
The interior sample is organized in three streets, the lateral ones occupied by drawers and the central one with an architectural chapel and two elongated drawers. The internal face of the doors is decorated, still in pyrography, with a background game based on plant interlacing. The fronts of the drawers have floral decorations typical of Baroque classicism, and the door of the chapel is adorned with a princely male figure, housed under a semicircular arch. The door of the chapel is also decorated inside, with a classic vase from which flowers emerge in an open and dynamic composition, typically Baroque. This pyro-engraved decoration of the sample is associated with an abundant molding, which clearly delimits each of the drawers, according to a clearly classic criterion. Moldings can also be seen on the classical pediment of the chapel, which stands on turned Tuscan columns.
In the 17th century, the power of the Venetian Republic in the Mediterranean declined, while Ottoman power grew. In 1644, the Knights of Malta attacked an Ottoman convoy heading to Istanbul from Alexandria and landed in Candia with the booty, which included part of the harem of Sultan Ibrahim I, who was returning from a pilgrimage to Mecca. In response, around 60,000 Ottoman soldiers led by Yusuf Pasha landed in Venetian Crete and occupied Chania and Rettimo (modern Rethymno), cities that fell in two months. Between 1645 and 1648, the Turks occupied the rest of the island and prepared to take the capital, Candía. Helped by the French, the Venetians managed to hold out until 1669. That year, after losing the naval vice-flagship due to an accidental explosion, the French left Candia, and the Venetian commander Francesco Morosini was left with just 3,600 men to defend the force. It was handed over to the Grand Vizier Ahmed Koprulu on September 27, 1669.
15 000 €