Nantes harbour signed Eugène Galien - Laloue (1854 - 1941) in its Montparnasse style frame
oil on canvas signed lower left
84 x 112 cm with the frame
In the tradition of Pierre Ozanne (1737 - 1813) considered to be the precious witness of naval France and its evolution during the second half of the 18th century, this representation of the port of Nantes seen from the bottom of the Fosse shows us a view that does not t is not yet too far from the previous century. In the distance, we can see the church of St Clément surmounted by its high spire.
From the 16th and 17th centuries, the port of Nantes grew because the great Spanish and Dutch navigators settled in Nantes and a quarter of French merchant ships were present there. In the 18th century, the triangular trade made this city one of the first French trading ports. In the 19th century, the port lost its influence with the development of St Nazaire, an advanced port on the Atlantic allowing large boats, which could no longer go as far as Nantes, to dock.
Eugène Galien - Laloue (1854 - 1941) famous for his Parisian views nonetheless remains a landscape painter, particularly in the region of Fontainebleau, having been influenced by his master Léon Pelouse, painter of the Fontainebleau school , school to which he doesn't move in.