Attributed to Théobald Michau (Tournai, 1676 - Antwerp, 1765)
Animated landscape of horse-drawn carriages and villagers conversing at the edge of a wood
Flemish school of the 17th century
Oil on oak panel with parquet : 40 x 57 cm
Black molded wood frame and brown tortoiseshell veneer
Total dimensions : 55 x 71 cm
In the pure tradition of the Flemish masters specialized in genre scenes and animated landscapes, Théobald Michau left us a good number of delightful paintings often executed on copper or wood panel.
A pupil of Lucas Achtschellinck, he worked first in Brussels, where he was registered as a master in 1698, then returned to Antwerp, where he is mentioned in 1711. He is represented in the museums of Antwerp, Tournai, Vienna (K. M.), Rennes, Rotterdam (B. V. B.) and also in private collections.
Théobald Michau was inspired by Breugel's compositions, while at the same time giving his interpretation the aesthetics of his time. Attaching himself to the details, he fignolizes the characters and the decor in the manner of a miniaturist. He particularly excels in indicating the succession of shots by the artifice of side screens and by a subtle and nuanced chromatism which, with him, is oriented towards tones with blue, green and brown dominance, but always very clear, soft and subtle. Witnessing an attentive observation of the animal world within a harmonious landscape, the painter deploys a real quality of execution and a delicate naturalism.
Price : on request
4 750 €
18 500 €