Pair of large mahogany and mahogany veneer awnings.
Model with overturned backs decorated with a rhombus in which are placed a central rosette and fan-shaped spandrels.
The uprights with detached columns in the form of a baluster are finely carved with palmettes.
The "Etruscan" armrests, flared and rolled up on the exteriors and delicately carved with strigils and rosettes.
Saber feet at the back and tapering rings at the front.
Very good state of conservation of the building, without restoration.
Covered by our workshop with a printed cotton toile de Jouy.
Parisian work from the Directoire period around 1795, attributable to Henri Jacob *.
Brand "LAAS" under the rear cross member, for the collection of Louis and Madeleine Serbat at the Château de Lass in the Atlantic Pyrenees.
Width: 90 cm; Depth: 65 cm; Height: 90cm
* Henri Jacob (December 25, 1753 - December 2, 1824) is a Carpenter received Master in Paris on September 29, 1779. He was the first cousin of the famous craftsman Georges Jacob, as the research of Mrs. Denise Ledoux-Lebard proved.
Henri Jacob, first cousin of the famous cabinetmaker Georges Jacob obtained his master's degree in 1779 and moved to rue de Bourbon-Villeneuve before moving in 1799 and establishing his workshop on rue de l'Echiquier. He ceased his activity in 1806. Thanks to his undoubted talent and the quality of his works, but above all because of the similarity of the names, he quickly enjoyed great notoriety. His production of chairs is very similar to that of his cousin, most of whose models he shamelessly copies. The sons of Georges Jacob also published an article in the Affiches, Annonces et Avis divers of April 6, 1800 "The Jacob brothers warn their customers against any confusion between their store and that of Henri Jacob, rue de l ' Chessboard "From 1785 he obtained orders from the Court and manufactured Louis XVI seats, classic in gilded wood. Its most important production consists of Louis XVI seats, but above all Directory and Consulate, in mahogany, with sculptures of great finesse. Henri Jacob left beautiful creations, of very good quality, but most often plagiarized on those of his famous cousin. Its establishment disappeared at the beginning of the Empire.
Polish bed late Louis XVI - Château de Fontainebleau
Louis XVI armchair to the queen - Decorative Arts of Paris
Pair of very small Louis XVI chairs - Carnavalet Museum - Paris
Pair of Louis XVI chairs - Louvre Museum
Small Louis XVI marquise with square back - Jacquemart-André Museum
Four Louis XVI chairs with rectangular backs - Musée Nissim-de-Camondo - Paris
18th Century French Furniture - Pierre Kjellberg - Les Editions de l'Amateur - 2008
18th century cabinetmakers - Count François de Salverte - Editions of Art and History - 1934
Our opinion :
The pair of marquises that we are presenting is characteristic of the Directoire period and presents a decorative repertoire "antiquizing", with strigils that can be found on sarcophagi or Roman marble vases and armrests in Etruscan shapes made fashionable by the discoveries of great ancient sites in the Italian peninsula.
The creation of the model is clearly attributable to Georges Jacob who was inspired by the designs of the architects Percier and fountain.
The absence of a stamp from 1791, the year that saw the abolition of corporation laws and the end of the terror in 1794, is characteristic of this period.
Let us recall that Georges Jacob appeared three times before the Revolutionary Tribunal, accused of having worked for Capet and the nobles. Despite the donation of 500 rifle butts and David's protection, he was imprisoned at the Conciergerie and released only after 9 Thermidor (July 27, 1794)
Our pair of seats is the work of Henri Jacob, who took advantage of his cousin's success to produce a large number of models similar to those delivered by his relative to the storage room.
It met with great success during the decade 1790-1800 by offering very good quality seats, adorned with sculptures of great quality.