Pair of finely chiseled and mercury gilded bronze tableware servants.
The circular bases decorated with friezes of palmettes and vines are surmounted by three dancers dressed in the antique style and playing the tambourine, timpani and castanets.
The central shaft decorated with rosettes is embellished with three decreasing cups in cut and engraved crystal.
The original cups attributable to the Montcenis crystal factory. *
Very high quality gilding with original matt and shiny double patina.
The two bases marked "THOMIRE A PARIS".
Parisian work from the Empire period around 1810 by the master founder and chaser Pierre Philippe Thomire (1751-1843).
Height: 58 cm; Diameter: 58 cm
Similar model but with two floors formerly in the collection of the King of Italy Umberto II.
* The Montcenis crystal factory was founded in Sévres in 1781, then the royal treasury bought the domain from the Duke of Orleans for Queen Marie-Antoinette in 1784.
The establishment of MM. Lambert et Boyer then took the name of Manufacture des crystals et enaux de la Reine.
In 1787, 60 people remained at the crystal factory, but following a decision by the State Council, the Manufacture des Cristaux was transferred to Le Creusot, near Montcenis, in Burgundy.
After a few trips and a stoppage of the ovens during the revolution, the manufacture resumed its activity and resumed growth under the aegis of its new administrator Benjamin-François de la Douespe du Fougerais (1766-1821).
The manufacture was rewarded twice at the Exhibitions of French Industry Products, in 1801 and 1802.
From 1806, it became the Empress’s main supplier of glassware and then took the title of "Manufacture des Cristaux du Montcenis de S. M. l'Impératrice".
Fougerais then provided abundantly the house of the Emperor, Queen Hortense, Murat ... and even exported to other European courts its chandeliers, glass sets, cups, etc.
He collaborates with the greatest bronziers of his time such as Thomire, Ravrio or Galle.
Pierre-Philippe Thomire (1751-1843) is the most important Parisian bronzier of the last quarter of the 18th century and the first decades of the following century. In his early days, he worked for Pierre Gouthière, the king's chaser-founder, then began working in the mid-1770s with Louis Prieur. He then became one of the official bronziers of the Royal Manufacture of Sèvres, working on the bronze decoration of most of the great creations of the time. After the Revolution, he bought the business of Martin-Eloi Lignereux and became the largest supplier of furnishing bronzes for castles and imperial palaces. At the same time, he worked for a wealthy private French and foreign clientele, including some of Napoleon's marshals. He retired in 1823 but continued to supervise the company left to his sons-in-law, which until his death in 1843 delivered the royal palaces for the various regimes. (Louis XVIII, Charles X, Louis Philippe) as well as many European courts.
Our opinion :
The two cups that we present come from a large table-top, probably made for a European princely court.
This type of model can be seen at the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg or at the Royal Palace in Madrid.
The antique dancers of our two pieces constitute the qualitative climax of Thomire's production during the Empire period, whether through the extremely fine carving or the very heavy and perfectly matted mercury gilding.
Presented in perfect condition with their original crystal cups, they are leading decorative pieces.
Price : on request
Price : on request