Very beautiful capital "composite" in white marble of Carrara.
The composite order is one of the great architectural orders that succeeded the Ionic, Doric and Corinthian orders.
It is composed of two volutes, friezes of oves and pearls of the Ionic order and the decoration of acanthus leaves of the Corinthian order.
It was used by the Romans in antiquity, as early as the 1st century, notably with the Arch of Titus which is the most beautiful example of this style.
Very appreciated during the Renaissance, it will be abundantly used, notably under the impulse of Michelangelo (1475-1564) and the architect Andrea Palladio (1508-1580) who gives it an important place in his famous treaty "the four books of architecture".
Other architects such as Vincenzo Scamozzi (1548-1616), Barozzi da Vignola (1507-1573) or in France Philibert Delorme (1514-1570) were among the greatest representatives of this style.
Very good condition, wear and traces of lichen.
Italy, Renaissance period, 16th century
Height : 26 cm ; Width : 32 cm ; Depth : 14 cm
Nearby capitals : Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri (Basilica built in the ancient baths of Diocletian)
The capital that we present is a nod to the Italian renaissance to the Roman builders of antiquity.
Placed in the library or the office of a scholar, it will symbolize the purity of classical architecture as well as the most beautiful values of the Renaissance.
Price : on request
3 800 €