Gaetano Ottani (1720 - 1724 / 1801)
Pair of paintings depicting Landscapes with ruins and figures
Measurements: canvas cm L 82 x H 66; with frames cm W 98 x H 82 x D 6
The two paintings, made in oil on canvas, depict landscapes with architectural whims, or fantasy ruins, animated by some figures. They are attributed to the painter Gaetano Ottani (Italy - Bologna, 29 March 1720 - 1724 - Turin, 14-15 January 1801). Ottani was trained in Bologna, at the Accademia Clementina and was inspired by the works of Ferdinando Galli da Bibbiena. He had a complex career as a set designer, painter and tenor.
In his career as a painter he distinguished himself for his landscapes with ruins, night visions on colonnades, imaginative and rich in details, and invented marines.
He worked in the Royal Palace of Turin for the Savoy court and had commissions for decorations in Piedmontese villas and palaces. In 1770 he became a member of the Academy of Fine Arts in Verona and in 1773 at the Academy of Fine Arts in Parma. A member of the Compagnia di San Luca, of Turin, which later became the Accademia Albertina, he became prior in 1782. From 1774 he served under Victor Amadeus III.
The pair of architectural whims, comparable to other autograph works of the master, is very pleasant for the type of subject, particularly decorative, for the remarkable pictorial quality with which the artist traces the characters and the ruins and for the bright and well balanced color, played on delicate tones and in harmony with each other.
The ancient coeval giltwood frames participate in embellishing the couple of paintings, that is therefore easily usable in any furnishing context.
Our experts are studying the paintings and they are writing the expertise.
21 500 €