The cobalt blue is typical blue of Sevres ceramics. The ovoid form vase is mounted on a neoclassical finely chiselled and gilded metal structure with three feet in the shape of a zoomorphic paw and elements to desired leaf in the upper part. The object was probably made in France at the beginning of the 19th century.
The Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres is one of the most famous porcelain manufactures in Europe based in Sèvres, France. In 1740 a porcelain factory was founded in Vincennes by the will of Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour. Transferred to Sèvres in 1756, this manufacture was joined to the Crown’s estate in 1759. The structure was, with the changing political regimes, royal, imperial and national manufacture. The splendour of sèvres had a sharp setback with the violent economic crisis and the riots generated by the French Revolution. At the beginning of the 19th century, Alexander Brongniart’s management took charge of it and applied his uncommon culture and intelligence to revive the factory, which saw both the quality of design and the level of production flourish. Sèvres finally turned to lines suitable for the rich bourgeoisie. He managed, over the years, to maintain both the favor of the court and Napoleon, and to conquer large strata of society, thanks to a quality that did not compromise even for the simplest productions. Many famous artists worked for the manufacture, which was in itself a guarantee of the highest stylistic research and could pay the best painters in the market. Among them are Jean-Honoré Fragonard. Still active, the manufacture of sèvres with its exceptional quality of products attracts many collectors from all over the world.