A Sèvres porcelain 18th century Royal plate
From the service delivered to the Comte d'Artois
Soft-paste porcelain plate with polychrome decoration of a seedling of roses and foliage and on the edges of roses in ovoid reserves on a braid with a mosaic background formed by gold polka dots and partridge eye patterns in blue and red.
Sèvres Royal Manufactory, 18th century, circa 1770-1775.
Marked: LL interlaced in green, without date letter, painter's mark C probably for Claude Couturier.
D. 24 cm.
Soft-paste porcelain service called "rozes et mosaïque" delivered on June 3rd, 1775 to Charles-Philippe of France, Comte d'Artois (1757-1836).
The decoration known as Rozes détachées et mosaïques was used for the decoration of several services carried out in Sèvres between 1768 and 1775. The first was delivered to the merchant-haberdasher Jean-Dominique Testard, acting on behalf of the Duke of Parma, most of the this service is still preserved today at the Palais du Quirinale.
Our soft porcelain plate probably dates from the years 1770-1775, it is part of the service delivered to the Comte d'Artois on June 3, 1775, having experienced several subsequent restockings. Another service was delivered nine days later to the Marquis de Juigné, French Ambassador to Russia, but this service, very largely preserved in the Pavlosk Palace, is made of hard porcelain. Finally, a service with a slightly different mosaic design was purchased by the merchant-mercer Simon-Philippe Poirier in 1771.
David Peters, Sèvres Plates and Services of the 18th Century, 2015, n° 69-1, 71-8 and 79-3.