This pair of Medici vases dating back to the early eighteenth century is attributed to the Terchi workshop in Siena.
The vases, with their polychrome decoration in pale, faded colors, have two pastoral scenes on their belly, a genre particularly appreciated in the eighteenth century. In spite of a different iconographic treatment, the two decorations present the same elements, immutable to the representation of these famous gallant scenes. The characters, shepherds, are represented in activity in a rural context. The men are with their herd (composed of cattle and sheep) while a woman is drawing water with an oenochoe and the other is spinning wool on her spindle. Moreover, the neck and the pedestal of our vases have a symmetrical and identical decoration with masks, loves, fruits and coat of arms surrounded by a garland of flowers.
The vase known as Medici, on foot takes the classic shape of the inverted bell-shaped crater, used during Antiquity, particularly among the Greeks.
Initially intended to decorate the gardens of the rich Roman customers, the form is borrowed thereafter to decorate the interiors.
Bartolomeo Terchi (1691-1766), is an Italian ceramist of the eighteenth century, he began at the majolica factory founded by Chigi and produced for private household consumption. He then moved to Siena, where he set up his ceramic workshop. There he develops particular themes based on ancient subjects, freely interpreted in bucolic landscapes, as our vases can testify.
Delevery information :
Please note that packing and shipping costs are not included in the price of the objects which are quoted ex shop.
Final amount including packing and shipment to be discussed with Galerie Alexandre Piatti.