This pair of small earthenware albarelli, beautifully decorated with vegetal motifs, was made in Venice around 1560-1570.
Cylindrical in shape with concave walls, this type of small albarello was used to contain solid or pasty preparations. The lids were often made of parchment leaves or sheepskin. The use of earthenware allowed the jars to be remarkably watertight and to preserve them very well.
Decorated in polychromy with flowering foliage, acanthus leaves and fruit on a cobalt blue background, both pieces bear the coat of arms of the Tiepolo family, consisting of a castle surmounted by three towers.
On each of the pots a figure is represented in an oval medallion. On one is the bust of a woman and on the other a man wearing the sarik, a traditional Ottoman turban.
In addition, both albarelli have an inscription in Gothic letters, which refers directly to the function of a pharmaceutical container.
The Tiepolo, originally from Rome, are a patrician family from Venice that includes seven procurators of Saint Mark, two doges and a great decorative painter. The Tiepolo are one of the twelve so-called apostolic families who elected the first doge in 697.
Delevery information :
Please note that packing and shipping costs are not included in the price of the objects which are quoted ex shop.
Final amount including packing and shipment to be discussed with Galerie Alexandre Piatti.