Exceptional console in gilded wood with four legs joined by a spacer.
Model finely carved and engraved with abundant decoration on all parts, on the front, on the sides, on the feet and the spacers.
The heavily scalloped front cross member embellished with chimeras spitting acanthus scrolls, openwork reserves lined with gadroon friezes, topped with grimacing winged masks on a background finely engraved with a lattice studded with florets.
In the corners, heads of howling chimeras extend the uprights made of curves and counter curves that simulate the neck of the animal.
On the outer faces of these uprights, masks of fauns spout garlands of decreasing flowers while on the C-shaped windings are positioned hydra with three heads.
Below, a central spacer rests on four baluster feet adorned with satyrs, it is bordered by gadroon frieze, finely engraved with “scrapers” on the outer faces and flower scrolls on the top.
The spacer is connected at its center by a large lion's muzzle capped with a plume of feathers; presented roaring he holds in his mouth a foliage of acanthus.
At the rear, a sinuous vertical crosspiece decorated with palm leaves connects the upper part to the spacer.
Original gilding with double matte and shiny patina, important repair work, that is to say engravings in the primers.
White and purple marble top, Medici breach. (inventory number "37" stenciled on the reverse)
Very good state of conservation; small retouching to the gilding.
French work attributable to the King's Braying Society, late Louis XIV period around 1715.
Width: 147 cm; Depth: 70 cm; Height: 82cm
Close model but with two legs:
-Artcurial sale, Paris 12/12/2012 lot 37
-Sale Koller, Zurich, 03/25/2010 lot 1067
Our opinion :
With its complex design and abundant decor that covers every square inch, our console is part of a small body of work produced in Paris at the end of the Louis XIV period by the Société des Buildings du Roi.
The shape of our console is clearly inspired by the projects of Gille-Marie Oppenord (1676-1742) for the furniture of the Regent at the Royal Palace *. (Pictures)
In addition to the curved and counter-curved structure and uprights, we find this type of spacer and central vertical cross member but also the same iconography, with satyr masks, lion's muzzles or chimeras spitting foliage.
The howling chimeras positioned in spandrels refer to a drawing by Mathieu Legoupil kept at the Kunstbibliothek in Berlin. (Photo)
The company of the buildings of the king was founded in 1699, it was made up of the sculptors André Legoupil, Marin Bellan and Pierre Taupin; Mathieu, André’s son, joined the company in 1714.
The latter worked under the direction of the architects of the buildings of King Robert de Cotte (1656-1735), Jacques Gabriel (1667-1742) or Gilles-Marie Oppenord (1676-1742).
The company worked for the sovereign, for the princes and princesses of blood such as the Duke of Maine, the Count of Toulouse, the Duke of Bourbon or the Princess of Conti.
But unlike architects, society was also free to work for individuals; however, in view of the quality and exorbitant costs of its productions, only a small elite could call on its services, and again only for the only ceremonial pieces of the largest residences.
These craftsmen were the largest providers of sculpted decorations in Paris, from the 1700s until the company ceased to operate in 1736.
The console that we present represents the quintessence of the decorative arts of the beginning of the 18th century, it is one of the most beautiful French consoles kept in private hands.
Price : on request
Price : on request
Price : on request