(Château-Follet, 1620 - Marseille, 1694)
Portefaix and galiote in the port of Marseille, in front of the fort and the Notre-Dame de la Garde chapel
Pen and brown and black inks on strokes of black stone, on wove paper
Annotated on the assembly in the lower center: Pierre Puget 1622-1694
31.5 x 58.7 cm
Certainly Jean-Baptiste Bourguignon collection from Fabregoules (1746-1836), Aix-en-Provence.
· By descent, his son, Jean-Baptiste-Marie Bourguignon de Fabregoules (1782-1863), councilor at the court of appeal, Aix-en-Provence.
· Transferred, around 1840, with the entire collection to Charles-Joseph-Barthélémy Giraud (1802-1881), Aix-en-Provence and Paris.
· Transferred, as a pledge of debts, with the whole of his collection to Jean-Baptiste-Charles-Prosper Flury-Hérard (1804-1873), Paris (stamp at bottom right L. 1015, FH No. and at brown ink 163).
· Its sale, Paris, Drouot, May 13-15, 1861, Blaisot expert, part of lot 305ter sold for 60 fr at Chennevières.
· Marquis Charles-Philippe de Chennevières-Pointel collection (1820-1899), director of Fine Arts, Paris and Bellesme (Normandy) (L. 2072 below left).
· Its after-death sale, Paris, Drouot, 4-7 April 1900, Paul Roblin expert, lot 428 ("Magnificent galley approaching near a quay, on the front, on the left, a porter. Very beautiful drawing in pen on vellum, Collection Ch. Giraud "), awarded 510 fr to Ducrey.
· Paris, private collection.
Bibliography of the work
Charles-Philippe de CHENNEVIERES, "A collection of drawings by French artists", L’Artiste, June 1895, chapter VII, p. 422-423.
Philippe AUQUIER, Pierre Puget, naval decorator and marinist, Paris, 1907, cat. 57, repr. pl. XX.
Klaus HERDING, Pierre Puget, Das Bildnerische Werk, Berlin, 1970, p. 39 note 172, fig. 33 (detail).
Pierre Puget. Painter sculptor, architect. 1620-1694, cat. exp. Marseille, Center de la Vieille Charité, Museum of Fine Arts, 1994, p. 179, fig. 23 bis (detail), 180.
Louis-Antoine PRAT and Laurence LHINARES, La collection Chennevières, four centuries of French drawings, cat. exp. Louvre Museum, Paris, 2007, p. 100, 297, cat. 273 repr.
Price : on request
Price : on request