This centerpiece in two parts is the work of the faience factory Choisy-le-Roi. The top represents the inside of a scallop shell in a brown gradation with a green leaf decoration. A shell-shaped ewer is articulated inside in a circular reinforcement. Its foot seems to be a rock on which shells cling. Leaves similar to those on the tray are visible on the belly of the ewer forming a visual reminder and creating unity. The handles of the ewer show algae. The marine universe is excellently executed, illustrating the technicality of Choisy-Le-Roi's earthenware factory.
Founded in 1804 by the Paillart brothers in the outbuildings of the royal castle of Choisy-le-Roi, the factory produced in its early days mainly fine earthenware pieces with printed decoration. The arrival of Hippolyte Hautin and then Louis Boulenger in 1836 favoured the development of the manufacture. Attracted by the new productions of decorative earthenware, Boulenger decided to diversify its production.
However, it was not until 1863, when Hippolyte Boulenger took over the management, that the factory began to take off. The son of Louis Boulenger, Hippolyte began to produce large-size majolica, and his production continued until 1910. This change enabled the factory to participate successfully in various World Fairs.
The majolica produced by the Choisy-le-Roi manufactory rivaled Minton's pieces. Vases and planters aim at the spectacular, sometimes coming from Japanism, sometimes from the Eclecticism in vogue during the Second Empire.
Choisy is renowned for its large, animal-inspired slurry pieces covered with brilliant, colourful glazes. Numerous trompe l'oeil dinner services have also been made showing the remarkable know-how of the faience makers.
The manufacture has received several awards at World Fairs. In 1920, Hippolyte Boulenger united the Creil and Montereau earthenware factories in the same group before the final closure of the factory in 1934.
4 200 €