An oil on canvas measuring 65X54 cm (without the Montparnasse frame)
representing a countryside landscape signed lower right.
Born into a Russian-Polish family probably established in Podolia (Ukraine), Sonia Lewitska studied art from 1894 in a private lesson, that of T. Kazanovsky in Zhytomyr, then in the workshop of Sergey Svetoslavski (1857- 1931) in Kiev. During her studies, Sonia meets Alexander Archipenko.
In 1905, she moved to Paris and studied at the École des Beaux Arts. There, she became friends with certain representatives of Fauvism such as Raoul Dufy who introduced her to painting on silk but also Jean Marchand with whom she married. She frequents the artistic circles of Montparnasse and the School of Paris. She exhibited regularly from 1910 (Salon d'Automne, Salon des Indépendants, Section d'Or). His style is characterized by landscapes of great poetry imbued with a certain magic, very linked to the Ukrainian folk arts, a style that does not leave indifferent critics like Guillaume Apollinaire. Between 1913 and 1937, she exhibited mainly in Parisian galleries, including that of Berthe Weill.
In 1912, his work was presented in Moscow, as part of the exhibition of French painters entitled Modern Art, alongside Henri Matisse, Albert Marquet, Robert Delaunay, among others.
In 1921, she translated alongside the poet Roger Allard, the novel by Nicolas Gogol, Les Veillées du château near Dikanka or Les Nuits d'Ukraine which she illustrated. She then embarked on wood engraving.
In 1932 and 1933, she exhibited in Lviv. In 1937, she participated in the retrospective "Women artists of Europe" organized by Laure Albin Guillot at the Jeu de Paume Museum.
Her talent as an illustrator is exercised through books and a few magazines.
In 1938, the "Society of Sonia Lewitska's friends" organized in his memory two exhibitions in Paris at André Sambon's house thanks to the good care of Georges Huisman.
11 000 €