This bright blue vase is signed Lachenal. This particular turquoise shade is reminiscent of the characteristic blue of Théodore Deck, with whom Edmond Lachenal trained before opening his own workshop.
The lower part of the vase is adorned with a glaze decoration reminiscent of Asian ceramics and bears witness to the influence of Japanese arts in Lachenal's work.
Edmond Lachenal joined Théodore Deck's factory in 1970, at the height of his fame. He quickly became its workshop manager.
In 1881, he opened his own workshop at 121 rue Blomet, in the district of Vaugirard, close to the Deck factory, the Haviland artistic workshop, taken over by Ernest Chaplet, but also that of George Pull. The same year, he exhibits various objects at the Salon de la Société des Artistes Français.
In 1884 he exhibited at the Union Centrale des Arts Décoratifs where his presentation was noticed. On this occasion, Lachenal receives a silver medal. He receives a second award the following year, at the Universal Exhibition of Antwerp in 1885. In 1889, he triumphs and receives a gold medal at the Universal Exhibition in Paris.
In the 1890s, Lachenal gradually breaks away from the influence of Theodore Deck and starts working with sandstone. In 1893, he introduced a new series of matt cutlery into his production, which soon became his trademark.
Lachenal's success continued into the 1900s. He received a gold medal at the 1900 Universal Exhibition in Paris. The following year, he exhibits around 300 works at the Museum of Decorative Arts in Vienna. He repeats in Munich in 1903.
However, his public career came to an abrupt halt in the following years. At the age of just fifty, Lachenal ceases to participate in the Salon de la Société des Beaux-arts from 1905 onwards. His two sons, Jacques and Raoul, take over the torch.