Pair of card models of Stockeld Park, England 1817.
Stockeld Park is a country house and estate situated between the towns of Wetherby and Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England, which is now the home of the Grant family. The estate covers approximately 2,000 acres.
The mansion itself is built in stone in the style of a Palladian villa and has a cantilevered staircase, furniture and works of art from the 18th and 19th centuries. Characteristics of the park include a dovecote, lodges, a ha-ha, an enclosed garden and a thatched log.
The 8.1 km2 estate owes its name from the land fees paid to knight Nigel de Stokeld (also Stockeld) in 1166. Around 1315, the Stockeld estate passed to William de Middleton of Ilkley. In 1757, William de Middleton commissioned architect James Paine to build the present house, which was completed in 1763. William Middelton died before it was completed and the house and the estate passed to his grand-nephew, William Constable. Subsequent generations of Middeltons continued to live in Ilkley, renting Stockeld until it was finally sold in 1893 to Robert John Foster, owner of Black Dyke Mills in Bradford.
Foster commissioned the architect Detmar Blow to make several improvements, including the conversion of the orangery into a chapel, and was appointed High Sheriff of Yorkshire for 1898-1899. During the Second World War, the house was requisitioned for use as a maternity.
Stockeld is now occupied by Peter Grant, a great grandchild of Robert John Foster. The main rooms are used for receptions and conferences.
7 500 €
1 600 €
1 500 €