A yellow and orange opaque cameo glass pin tray, topped with a green lizard.
Signed "A. Walter Nancy"
height 10 cm
width 20 cm
Almaric Walter (1870-1959) was a French glassmaker known mainly for his glass paste products. He received his initial training at the Sèvres Manufacture. Installed on his own, he produced glass and earthenware ware, of which fewearthenwares have reached us so far. His fame was recognized at the Universal Exhibition of 1900 in Paris where he won a prize. It was most likely on this occasion that he was conquered by the glass work of Albert Dammouse and Henry Cros.
In 1905, Almaric Walter joined the Daum glassworks factory, which brought him notoriety in Nancy and Paris. With the help of Henri Bergé, chief designer at Daum, he created more than 100 models of colored cameo glass in the Art Nouveau style. His collaboration with Maison Daum lasted until 1915.
In 1919, Walter set up his own studio rue Claudot in Nancy. He developped, with Henri Bergé but also other modellers, nearly 500 different models. Due to the complexity and slow implementation of the glass paste technique, the number of copies per model was always small. Walter made also pieces from the works of sculptors Alfred Finot, Jules Cayette, Joe Descomps-Cormier, Auguste Houillon, Auguste Rodin ...
Walter's studio closed in 1935, most likely because of changes in artistic tastes and lack of profitability of the case, the production costs remaining all important because of the technique used, especially after the global economic crisis of 1929. From that date, Amalric Walter no longer produced any cameo glass ware. We know very little about his life from that moment on. He left Nancy in 1940 during the German occupation and then returned in 1945. He died in 1959, blind and in great destitution.