Also known under the title of " Miss Schollar in "Cleopatra" "
A rare bronze with a dark greenish brown patina
raised on its original wooden base
cast by HEBRARD
dated "Paris, 1910"
total height 17 cm
A similar model is reproduced in « Exposition des sculptures de M. Boris Froedman-Cluzel - Les artistes de la danse russes et français », Exposition à la galerie A.A. Hébrard, Paris, 1910, n°13.
Boris Oscarovich Frödman-Cluzel (1878-1959) called Boris Frödman-Cluzel (or Froedman-Cluzel), was a Russian sculptor. Son of a Swedish merchant, Oscar-Karl Frödman and Natalia Cluzel, from a French noble family, he studied in St. Petersburg. In 1894-1897 he learned sculpture at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Stockholm (1898-1900) under the direction of Mr. Chistyakov and MP Popov, then at the Hans Thom School of Art in Karlsruhe, Germany, finally in Paris in 1902. He was married to the dancer Maria Gorshkova, a friend of Anna Pavlova. In 1907, on the instructions of the firm Fabergé, he worked in England at the royal court and made small wax models representing domestic animals and birds of the royal farm Sandringham. He created models of humorous figures representing Russian and English folk types.
In May 1910, in the Parisian gallery Hébrard, Frödman-Cluzel organized an exhibition of small bronze figurines, which coincided with the opening of the Russian ballet season. The figures of Russian dancer A.R. Bolma, French ballerinas Zammelli and Schwartz were then acquired by the Musée du Luxembourg in Paris.
From 1910 to 1917, Frödman-Cluzel returned to work in St. Petersburg and Moscow. He produced the bronze portraits of the artists K.A. Varlamov, Yu. M. Yuriev, N.N. Khodothova, V.V. Strelskaya, G.N. Fedotova, M.N. Ermolova, V.F. Komissarzhevskaya and a collection of about 60 ballet dancer figurines: M.F. Kshesinskaya, T.P. Karsavina, M. Mordkin, A.A. Gorsky, V.A. Coralli. He created the first sculptural images of Anna Pavlova and the statuette "The leg of Anna Pavlova". As a portraitist Frödman-Cluzel made the busts of the imperial princes, John and Oleg Konstantinovich, in 1915. In 1916, he executed the sculptural decoration of the sepulchral chapel of the actor K. A. Varlamov at the cemetery of the Novodevichy convent in St. Petersburg.
In 1912, he organized a solo exhibition at the Lemercier Gallery in Moscow. In 1922, his works were exhibited at the 1st Exhibition of Sculptures in St. Petersburg, then until 1927, during exhibitions in Moscow and St. Petersburg. In 1918-1919 Frödman-Cluzel worked in Stockholm. In 1919, he moved to Paris and taught at the National School of Decorative Arts, and exhibited in the Parisian salons. He became Knight of the Legion of Honor in 1924 and moved to Cairo in 1929, where he was Professor and Head of the Department of Sculpture at the Faculty of Fine Arts at Cairo University. He then opened and directed the modern art gallery "Echnator".
Frödman-Cluzel made many portraits in Egypt, as well as a number of sculptures of parks and monuments, including that of King Fouad I in Alexandria. In 1935, at the Cairo Art Exhibition, the sculpture "The Bride of the Nile" was purchased by the state and installed for the fountain of the Rosarium of Nuzha Park in Alexandria. In 1959, he realized the bust of G.-A. Nasser, who was presented at the Museum of Theater and Musical Art in St. Petersburg and at the British Museum in London. Frödman-Cluzel's late sculpture collection is now held at the Gezira Museum of Fine Arts, Egypt.