Saint Peter of Alcantara in front of the Blessed Virgin and Saint John (1669)
The painting, in a good state of conservation although slightly trimmed on the sides, represents the Virgin with the Child and Saint John the Evangelist appearing to Saint Peter of Alcantara.
The saint was canonized by Clement IX in 1669 at the same time as Saint Mary Magdalene of Pazzi and for this circumstance, as was customary, the artists were recruited to perform the paintings and the banners necessary for the ceremony. occurrence: Fabrizio Chiari, Guillaume Courtois said Bourguignon and Lazzaro Baldi.
The work returns without hesitation to the latter and presenting the infallible mark of his style, belongs to the series that Baldi realized precisely for the event of 1669.
Lazzaro Baldi, a native of Pistoia, came to Rome in the studio of Pedro de Cortona, where he became, with Ciro Ferri, one of the main collaborators, before developing a more personal and characteristic style.
This privileged position allowed him to obtain many orders still in place in Sant'Anastasia, the Oratory of Pescivendoli, Santa Maria del Pianto, Santa Maria in Vallicella, Santi Martina and Luca, Santa Pudenziana, San Silvestro al Quirinale, Santa Croce dei Lucchesi, San Marcello al Corso, and Spada Palace, to name but a few.
Pope Clement IX Rospigliosi, also from Pistoia, confided to his compatriot most of the orders related to the innumerable ceremonies of canonizations multiplied by the counter-reformation. This specific activity was to be shared with Guglielmo Cortese (Jacques Courtois, known as Le Bourguignon), Ludovico Giminiani, Fabrizio Chiari, Niccolo Berrettoni (nephew of Pierre de Cortone), Luigi Garzi, Carlo Maratta and Giacomo Zoboli.
Baldi entered the Academy of Saint Luke in 1652 and became Prince in 1679.
We thank Professor Vittorio Casale for the detailed instructions available on request.