EUR

FR   EN   中文

CONNECTION
"Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960)
"Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960) - Sculpture Style Art Déco "Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960) - "Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960) - Art Déco Antiquités - "Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960)
Ref : 74829
30 000 €
Period :
20th century
Artist :
Henri Bouchard
Medium :
Bronze
Dimensions :
L. 24.41 inch X H. 24.8 inch
Sculpture  - "Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960) 20th century - "Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960) Art Déco - "Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960)
Galerie Tourbillon

Sculpture of the 19th and 20th centuries


+33 (0)6 17 35 26 01
"Fountain of Bagatelle" - Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960)

« Woman and Gazelle » known also as « Fountain of Bagatelle »

Bronze with a nuanced green patina
cast by BISCEGLIA

France
circa 1930
height 63 cm
length 62 cm

Biography :
Henri Louis Bouchard (1875-1960) was a French sculptor and medalist. The son of a Dijon woodworker, Henri Bouchard entered as an apprentice at an ornamental decorator where he learned the basics of sculpture. In 1889, he followed at the same time, the courses of the School of Fine Arts in Dijon, where he was the student of the sculptor François Dameron. He enrolled at the Académie Julian in Paris and entered the National School of Decorative Arts, where he was a student of Hector Lemaire from 1889 to 1894. He then entered the School of Fine Arts in Paris in the studio of the sculptor Louis-Ernest Barrias from 1895 to 1901. In 1901 he won the Grand Prix of Rome on the theme of The Exile of Oedipus and Antigone driven from Thebes. From 1902 to 1906, Bouchard was a resident at the Villa Medici in Rome, from where he sent works such as The Reaper in 1904, The Tanker of the Port of Naples, Girl in the jug or Young Roman dancer. He planned a time to dedicate a monument to the workers. He travelled from 1903 to 1905. Besides Italy, he visited Tunisia in 1903, Morocco in 1904 and Greece in 1905. These years sharpened his taste for the daily life and labor of the people.

Back in France in 1906, Bouchard lived and worked in the Montparnasse district of Paris where, in the tradition of Jules Dalou or Constantin Meunier, he developed his naturalistic approach to the world of workers. He received his first commission from the state in 1907. From 1910 to 1917 he was appointed professor at the Julian Academy. His art became more stylized, rhythmic, more decorative too. He created small decorative pieces and received many commissions for monumental works and reliefs. In 1911, he made a trip to Germany, where he made a portrait of Claus Sluter. Bouchard traveled in 1912 to the north: England, Belgium and the Netherlands. He was appointed Knight of the Legion of Honor in 1914. Demobilized, Bouchard returned to Paris in February 1919. To meet the many orders that were passed, he built in 1924 a workshop in Paris in the district of Auteuil. He participated in the International Exhibition of Decorative and Modern Industrial Arts of 1925. From 1928 to 1929, he was a professor at the National School of Decorative Arts, then from 1929 to 1945, he became professor and head of workshop at the School of Fine Arts in Paris. In 1933, he became a member of the Academy of Fine Arts in Paris. From 1940 to 1945, Bouchard was president of the Salon des artistes français.

From 1941 to 1945, Bouchard participated in the Collaboration Group. He took part of the trip to Germany in 1941 at the invitation of the German occupant, with eleven other artists. He wrote an article about this trip in the magazine L'Illustration, in which he wrote: "So I said what I saw: the almost magical life that the Reich government knew how to do with the artists, who seemed to be there the cherished children of the nation. ". In 1942, he was a member of the honorary committee of the Arno Breker exhibition in Paris. In 1942, following the law of October 11, 1941 on the recovery of non-ferrous metals, three of his bronze sculptures were destroyed for recasting. In 1944, at the Liberation, he was recognized as a collaborator by the executive committee of the National Front of Arts, chaired by Pablo Picasso. The prosecution was then filed after its study. He realized Father Jacques, one of his last great sculptures, in 1948.

Galerie Tourbillon

CATALOGUE

Bronze Sculpture Art Déco