A nuanced brown sandstone bust
made by the Manufacture nationale de Sèvres
raised on a beige marble base
total height 54,5 cm
A similar model executed in 1929 is reproduced in « Sculpteurs nouveaux, Marcel Gimond », Paul Fierens, Nrf, 1930, p.57
Marcel Gimond (1894-1961) was a French sculptor. He studied in Lyon, then at the School of Fine Arts in Lyon where he graduated in 1917. Finally he arrived in Paris the same year and settled in Marly Le Roi. Student of Aristide Maillol, he also met Raoul Dufy or Auguste Renoir. Gimond worked with Maillol until 1920, and left him to settle in Paris and regained his independence. He then moved to the former Renoir studio, made available by Jean Renoir. He exhibited at the Salon des Indépendants and the Salon d'Automne in 1922. In 1940, Gimond left Paris to settle in the South zone, in Lyon, then in Aix-en-Provence; He spent his summers at Saint-Félicien, at the house of the poet Charles Forot. At the Liberation, in 1944, he went to Paris and found his workshop rue Ordener, he left only a few months before his death. From 1946 to 1960, he directed a workshop at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. Marcel Gimond is known for his busts of political and artistic personalities. He also owed two bas-reliefs located in the lobby of the newspaper "L'Humanité", in tribute to Marcel Cachin and Gabriel Péri.
14 000 €