Bronze with a nuanced brown patina
cast by CHARNOD & KLOSTER
height 55 cm
Marceli Guyski (1830-1893) is a Polish sculptor, specializing in portraits and medallions representing mainly Polish aristocrats. As a young boy, he attended secondary school in Niemirów from 1843 to 1853. In 1854-1857 he studied at the Warsaw School of Fine Arts. In 1857 Guyski left Poland for Italy, where he continued his studies in Florence, then in Bologna. He eventually moved to Rome, where he was strongly influenced by Italian classicism. He then made contact with the Polish noble Branicki family and the sculptor Wiktor Okry?ski.
At the request of Count Xavier Branicki, Marceli Guyski participated in the decoration of the Montrésor castle built in Touraine and realized many busts of the family. From 1873 he moved to Krakow, where he pursued a career in teaching for a while. He was then an adjunct professor at the School of Fine Arts in Krakow from 1875 to 1877. Guyski participated in international exhibitions in Paris (1880, 1887) and Munich (1882).
Marceli Guyski's works are now to be seen in the National Museum of Fine Arts in Krakow, Poznan and Warsaw.