Oil on mahogany panel monogrammed, located and dated lower left.
Dimensions with frame (66 x 53.5 cm).
Ernest Hebert painted this painting in 1874 during one of his trips to Capri.
Having nothing more to prove, fleeing the official orders and the monumental works, E. Hebert enjoy while painting scenes of the popular life on small formats.
His technique is then influenced by the impressionist light for a luminous rendering of the material, made by area of colors.
A brilliant and talented painter, Ernest Hebert is an important figure in the French classical painting school. Coming from a bourgeois background, his family is destined for a career as a lawyer. While attending law school, Hébert trained alone in painting receiving the advice of Benjamin Rolland, David d'Angers and Paul Delaroche.
In 1839, he sent a painting "The Cup in Prison" at the Salon; the canvas is a great success and is bought by the Grenoble Museum.
His career is then launched; he enters the School of Fine Arts in Paris.
He received the Prix de Rome after which he moved to Rome. He will be a resident of Villa Medici from 1840 to 1844.
On his return to Paris, he became a renowned painter of the Second Empire; he performs many portraits and will be rewarded many times in the Salons.
He will occupy, on several occasions, the post of director of the Académie de France in Rome. He was also appointed professor at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris from 1882 to 1885. He built a large part of his work by drawing on his memories of his stays in Italy where he found his favorite subjects, painting peasant scenes with a melancholy realism.
A Hebert museum opens its doors in Paris in 1977.
Museums: Paris (Musée d'Orsay, The Louvre (Hebert Graphic Art Department), La Tronche, Hebert Museum Grenoble
9 000 €
55 000 €
27 500 €