HENRI BOUCHARD (Dijon 1875 - 1960 Paris)
After a first training at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in his hometown, Bouchard arrived in Paris and joined the Académie Julian and the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Décoratifs between 1889 and 1894, before entering the School of fine Arts in the studio of sculptor Barrias.
Prix ??de Rome in 1901, he first stayed in Italy then traveled between Tunisia, Morocco and Greece.
Back in France in 1906, he received his first order the following year. Faced with the important requests he received, Bouchard had a workshop built in the Auteuil neighborhood in 1924, which became the Bouchard Museum.
Jehan or Jean de Chelles
H: 74 cm
Four labels on the reverse:
• International Biennial of Arte di Venetia 1938 n ° 350
• 21st International Biennial Exhibition of Fine Arts, Venice 1938
Title of the work Jean de Chelles architect ND de Paris sale price 15000 francs
Owner Mr. Bouchard, 5 rue de Livette, Paris
• Italian label
"Ne / THANKS / DOGANA ITALIANA / VISITATE / 9616"
• Special pulling tip
Jehan de Chelles was one of the architects of the Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris, he began his project management in 1258 until 1265, the presumed date of his death. On that date, he was replaced by Maître Pierre de Montreuil.
Outside the southern transept, one can see an inscription dated 1257 and "signing" its project management.
He is responsible for the north facade of the transept, the portal of the cloister and its rose window, the portal Saint-Etienne.
He began the southern part, which was taken over and completed by Pierre de Montreuil, one of the presumed architects of Sainte-Chapelle, the other being Jehan de Chelles himself.
He would have contributed to the construction of the Saint-Julien cathedral of Le Mans.
He is also credited with a sculptor's work.
The city of Chelles, where he was born around the year 1200, honors him with a street, a high school and a statue in the Park of Remembrance.
Emile Zola, in the preparatory work of Le Rêve, folio 124, writes: "At the death of Philip Augustus (1223), this facade was completed. The southern gate of the transept [sic] was begun in 1257 by Jehan de Chelles, mason. "
BISCEGLIA is an Italian casting foundry executing lost wax, created by Mario Bisceglia of Turin, 1879-1961.
In 1898 he worked at the Speratidi foundry in Turin. He participated in the cast of the monument to Amedee of Savoy, Duke of Aosta, by David Calandra.
The sculptors Bouchard and Landowski undertook to convince Bisceglia to come to work in France. He left Italy between 1904 and 1906. He will work, probably shortly, as a team leader at Siot-Decauville, where he met Tullio Clementi, his countryman emigrated in 1906. His activity will continue until in 1962, when he sold his workshops to Emile Godard.
Stone statue (1933) exhibited at the Salon of 1935 under the number 3267 then placed in Chelles
Plaster reduction preserved at the Bouchard Museum (HB 84457) then transferred to the Roubaix Pool
Price : on request