Offered by Lemoine Bouchard Fine Arts
Theodore JUNG (1803-1865)
King Louis Philippe and the review of the National Guard at Champ-de-Mars
August 29, 1830
Gouache and watercolor on paper, 33.5 x 58 cm
Signed lower left: Th. Jung
August 29, 1830, Louis-Philippe reviews the 50,000 National Guards of Paris and its suburbs. Indeed, the National Guard, civic institution created on the eve of the storming of the Bastille, fired by Charles X in 1827, had spontaneously reconstituted during the revolutionary days of 1830.
"The legions of the National Guard have taken, in their number order, the positions assigned to them. At the same time, from all points of the capital and the neighborhood, a great crowd of inhabitants was moving towards the same place. Soon the embankments of the Field of Mars, the neighboring avenues, the quays and the heights which face the Military School were occupied by a crowd [valued at five hundred thousand souls]. At half-past twelve a salute of 21 guns announced the departure of his majesty from the Palais-Royal. "
"The King on horseback, having on his right the Prince Royal and on his left M; the Duke de Nemours, accompanied by the Marshal Minister of War, Marshals Duke of Con- gregiano, Regio, Treviso, Count Jourdan, Marquis Maison, Count Molitor, and a very numerous procession of officers generals, arrived at the Champs de Mars preceded by four squadrons of the National Guard on horseback. The King dismounted and placed himself under the royal tent erected in front of the Military School. "The acclamations which had not ceased to accompany the king on his way, then rose in the midst of the legions, and at the moment on all lines, we saw the hats, the shakos put at the end of the bayonets, the shouts of Long live the king! It is useless to try to portray such a spectacle, and to express such emotions. "
A tent had been set up for the King, in his National Guard uniform, to distribute the flags before attending the parade. In reality it was the general and Marquis de La Fayette, commander of the Legion citizens, who made the distribution. The leader of each battalion was to go to the royal tent, take the oath of allegiance to the Revised Charter and the King, and receive the flag. The guard, like the nation, covered its three blue-white-red colors, which had been replaced by the white flag under the Restoration.
A painting was commissioned in 1834 to Joseph-Désiré Court (1797-1865) The King gives the flags the National Guard of Paris and the suburbs August 29, 1830 which centers on the royal tent, against a backdrop of Ecole Militaire. Several lithographs commemorated the event. That of Victor Hyppolite Delaporte (Carnavalet museum, additional photo) gives a perspective view with the military school visible at the bottom right.
Théodore Jung placed himself at the back of the Ecole Militaire and represented the entire magazine as a cavalier sight; the king is on horseback to the left, in national uniform, girded with the grand cordon of the order of the Legion of Honor. It shows all the legions of National Guards, the crowd in the alleyways and on the opposite bank. It restores a Paris today disappeared along the Seine, with Passy on the right bank and mill on the march, the hill of Chaillot, where will rise later the palace of Trocadero.
The 29 August magazine is the first official holiday of the new regime. It is to the glory of the reborn guard, and celebrates the advent of a new monarchy, bourgeois and liberal.
"Never did king appear to have collected so many titles of incontestable legitimacy, as the king did not gather after this review. The king was crowned that day by the acclamations of these 50,000 bourgeois. These remarks by Cuvillier-Fleury, a liberal journalist, make it possible to measure the symbolic importance of the August review, the founding moment of the regime.
The Alsatian Theodore Jung has made a specialty of military scenes in microscopic views; he also owes him views of Paris very finely treated as is the case here, and views of the conquest of Algeria.
He later dealt with another review in the Champ-de-Mars, made by Napoleon III, but in a size half as big as this one (13.5 cm x 22 cm) (former Alfred Normand collection, Christie's Monaco, 20 June 1994, No. 133).
Delevery information :
Consult us for expedition abroad.
Price : on request
Price : on request
Price : on request