Canvas of 57 cm by 41 cm
Very nice frame of 73 by 59 cm
Beautiful condition of use-old restorations
Louis-Auguste Lapito (1803-1874)
Louis-Auguste Lapito was born in La Branche-du-Pont-de-Saint-Maur on the 30th Thermidor an XI. His father, Pierre Lapito, carpenter is a notable of the commune that will be renamed in 1831 Joinville-le-Pont. He sat in the Municipal Assembly in Year II and in Year III. Louis Auguste is the seventh of eight children he will have with Marguerite Geneviève Lheureux.
He was a pupil of Louis Étienne Watelet in 1818, then entered the studio of François-Joseph Heim. He then traveled to the south of France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany and the Netherlands. He returned to Paris in 1826.
He made a trip to Corsica in 1827. He was one of the few painters of the early nineteenth century, with Catherine Empis (1796-1879) and Alexandre Ségé (1819-1885), to have exhibited paintings depicting Corsican landscapes at the Salons from Paris.
As a landscape painter, he started at the Salon de Paris in 1827 and exhibited there until 1870. He won a second class medal in 1833 and a first class in 1835.
He exhibited abroad, notably in Brussels where he received a gold medal in 1848.
Lapito represents an arranged nature, painted with meticulousness, in accordance with the ideal of the classical landscape. He is one of the group of landscape painters whom Charles Baudelaire wrote in the Salon of 1846 at the beginning of the chapter "Landscape" as naturalistic painters idealizing without their knowledge: "In the landscape, as in the portrait and the picture of history, we can establish classifications based on different methods: for example, there are colouristic landscape designers, landscape designers and imaginatives; naturalists idealising without their knowledge, and sectarians of the commonplace, who devote themselves to a peculiar and strange genre, called the Historical Landscape. " This type of landscape painting was typical under the July monarchy.
Louis-Auguste Lapito was appointed Knight of the Legion of Honor in 1836. He was a Knight of the Order of Leopold and a member of the Academy of Rotterdam.
Price : on request