Mahogany Louis XVI style meuble d’entre deux, two of its doors are Chinese panels decorated with birds perched on flowering branches.Gilt bronze circular ornaments, moulded plinthe, marble Turquin blue top.
Signature inside the central door : SORMANI 134 Bd Haussmann, Paris.
France, beginning of the 20th century.
Paul Sormani (1817-1877), a cabinet-maker, established his shop in 1847 at 7 cimetière Saint Nicolas, then in 1854 at 114 rue du Temple, then in 1867 at 10 rue Charlot in Paris. He participated at the great International Exhibitions of 1855, 1862 and in 1867 with his “small-scale fantasia furniture” as well as excellent quality reproductions of a few pieces of the Garde Meuble National. He won a bronze medal in 1849 and a first-class medal in 1855. At the Universal Exhibition of 1867, his work was qualified by the following terms : “His entire production reveals a first-rate quality of execution”.
When Sormani deceased, his son Paul-Charles and his mother Ursula Marie Philippines (born Bouvaist) take over the houses activity under the social reason “Sormani Widow and Son” in 1878. In 1914, Paul-Charles Sormani (1848-1934) takes Thiebault frères as an associate in order to establish a shop at 134 Bd Haussmann. This shop produced great quality pieces in the Louis XVth and Louis XVIth styles until 1934, the year of its closing.
Sormani fabricated mostly clocks, liquor cabinets and writing-cases, some of which were replicas of those made by Jean-Pierre Tahan.
3 000 €
Price : on request