An oil on canvas measuring 46X38 cm (without the frame) representing a fruit cup by Maurice BRIANCHON (1899-1979) circa 1925.
In 1917 Maurice Brianchon entered the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris in the studio of Fernand Cormon and in 1918 left this school to attend the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs in Eugène Édouard Morand, (1853-1930) who has been teaching there since 1908. He meets Roland Oudot, Raymond Legueult, Joseph Inguimberty, François Desnoyer, Jacques Adnet and Kostia Terechkovitch. He exhibited for the first time at the Salon d'automne in 1919. A trip to Belgium and the Netherlands made him discover the Flemish and Dutch painters through the museums he visited in Brussels, Antwerp, Bruges and Amsterdam. It is the time when he re-read the Masters of Eugene Fromentin. He left the Decorative Arts.
In 1922, he became a member of the committee of the Salon d'automne and took with his friend Raymond Legueult a workshop in Maine Avenue in Paris. Jacques Rouché, director of the Paris Opera, asks him to create the costumes for the ballet of Griselidis, the first of which will take place on November 29, 1922. In 1924 he received the Blumenthal Prize and a scholarship from the School of Decorative Arts Which allowed him to travel with them to Spain, where they discovered at the Prado Museum the masters of Spanish painting they admired so much, and of whom they made copies: Diego Vélasquez, Goya, and Greco.
It was always in the company of Legueult that he made the sets of La Naissance de la Lyre at the Paris Opera in 1925, the first of which took place on 1 July 1925. He was appointed professor of drawing at the École Estienne in Paris in October of the same year. On June 18, 1934, he married the painter Marguerite Louppe, whom he met at the Académie Julian as well as at the Academy of the Grande Chaumière, and participated in the Venice Biennale with six paintings.
In 1936, he became a professor at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs in Paris.