Pair of Fô dogs from the Ming period or the beginning of the Qing dynasty (around 1644 or shortly thereafter) made in the imperial porcelain production workshops of China. These chimerical figures were subsequently imported into Europe by one of the East India Companies which had been operating in Europe since the first half of the 17th century.
These dogs were then acquired by a merchant-mercier, who, at the dawn of the eighteenth century, had them mounted in gilded bronze by a Parisian bronzer who worked here in a transitional taste between the Louis XIV style (bobeches shape) and the nascent rocky taste (irregularities of the curvilinear arms).
These candelabras were made around the time of the Regency, in the years 1710-1730. They are one of the very rare testimonies of the Chinese white mount. Very few examples are known, one of the most famous being the Chinese white Kangxi covered pot mounted in silver for the father of Jean-Baptiste de Machault d'Arnouville, lieutenant-general of police of Paris under the Regency.
Sun. (H x W x D): 37 x 15 x 8 cm.
A partially broken ear completed by a clever and discreet restoration.
Price : on request
22 000 €