FR   EN   中文

Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950
Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950 - Lighting Style 50 Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950 - Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950 - 50
Ref : 112202
6 800 €
Period :
20th century
Provenance :
Medium :
Dimensions :
H. 51.18 inch | Ø 9.45 inch
Lighting  - Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950 20th century - Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950
Tobogan Antiques

19th Century Furniture and Works of art

+33 ( 0)1 42 86 89 99
Pair of Rex Theater Chandeliers, France circa 1950

Beautiful pair of varnished brass chandeliers with eight lighting tubes arranged in a circle around the central shaft, set in curved rods ending in a ball.

These chandeliers come from the legendary Le Grand Rex cinema, located 1 boulevard Poissonnière in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris, and formed a set with matching wall lights.

Commentary :
At the beginning of the 1930s, Jacques Haïk, producer and distributor in the world of cinema, launched the construction of a completely extravagant room: an area of 2,000 m2, with a ceiling reaching more than 30 m, representing a luminous starry vault. The roof tower is 35 meters high.
Its designers are the architect Auguste Bluysen and the engineer John Eberson. The facade is designed by the sculptor Henri-Édouard Navarre and the decoration of the large room by Maurice Dufrène in the image of a “Mediterranean-antique” city in relief, located in the open air with its colorful walls restoring the Art déco atmosphere of the villas of the “French Riviera”.
The Grand Rex opened its doors on the evening of December 8, 1932, in the presence of cinema pioneer Louis Lumière and 3,300 guests. It is then one of the largest rooms in Paris with the Gaumont-Palace.
During the Occupation, the Grand Rex was seized by the German army, which transformed it into a “Soldatenkino” to distract its troops on leave. In September 1942, he was the target of a bomb attack by the Valmy detachment. The cinema reopened on October 13, 1944, after the Liberation. From April 12 to June 22, 1945, it closed temporarily, transformed into a reception center for repatriated prisoners of war.
At that time, the Grand Rex program was split into two parts, with an intermission connecting them: the first with a musical overture and the news, the second with attractions (“waterfalls, erupting volcanoes…” ) then the film itself. Dancers, musicians, machinery and ushers are then necessary for the smooth running of the show.
After the failure of the attraction “Le Miroir de Neptune” in 1953 (“swimmers move in a transparent pool installed on the stage”), the “Féerie des eaux” was created in March 1954, during which 3000 liters were projected twenty meters high with light shows and musical accompaniment.
In 1957, the Grand Rex escalator was inaugurated by Gary Cooper and Mylène Demongeot, succeeding elevators. It was the first time that a European theater had acquired this type of equipment.
In 1974, three small rooms were added to the complex, on the location of the dressing rooms and rehearsal rooms. The Rex Club, a disco club, replaces the “Rêve” dance hall, a chic establishment created in 1932.
The Grand Rex and its Art Deco facade were included in the inventory of historic monuments in 1981.
In 2009, the facade was equipped with digital signs, the light of which highlights its Art Deco columns. In 2017, the large room was renovated. From December 2020, the facades and roofs of the cinema are the subject of a complete restoration and renovation carried out by the architects Antoine Petit, Nicolas Debicki, Grichka Martinetti (PNG) and Stéphane Thomasse (RA&F). Ending in December 2022, it is characterized in particular by a decoration of the facade inspired by that of the original building from 1932. The Grand Rex has become, in France and in Europe, one of the emblematic places of cinema, remarkable for its architecture and its decoration.

Tobogan Antiques


Chandelier 50's - 60's