Stamped: Jean Caumont
In mahogany and mahogany veneer inlaid with lattice work in filleted frames. It features oval and spandrel-shaped Paris porcelain plates decorated with flowers and foliage in antique-style vases, enhanced by a border of blue "partridge-eye" motifs, each plate set with a row of ormolu pearls. It opens with a flap revealing four drawers and two compartments, and two doors at the bottom. Rounded fluted mounts, tapered legs. Rich ornamentation in chased ormolu with vases, asparagus flowers and laurel torus escutcheons.
White marble framed on three sides by an openwork gallery.
The application of porcelain plates to particularly precious furniture dates from the mid-18th century, reaching its peak between 1765 and 1780. Launched by Parisian dealer Poirier to satisfy a demanding, refined clientele in search of novelty, and taken up by his successor Daguerre - this "porcelaine de France" was used by leading cabinetmakers who supplied the crown.
Jean Caumont (Master December 14, 1774), established on rue Traversière, took an active part in the Revolution, during which he was elected judge to the Commercial Court. Transitional and Louis XVI styles dominate his work.
Bibliography: "Le mobilier Français du XVIIIe s", Giacomo Wannenes, Bocca Editori-Milano. p. 282
Piasa sale, December 16, 2009, lot 299
Christie's New York, May 27, 1999, lot 340
60 000 €
28 000 €