Flemish school of the late 17th century, early 18th century.
Pair of oil paintings on oak panels.
Molded wood frame with black guilloché.
Total dimensions of each painting with frame: 36 x 43 cm.
Panel alone: 21 x 28 cm
In the pure tradition of Flemish masters specializing in genre scenes and lively landscapes, Théobald Michau left us a number of delightful paintings, often executed on copper or wood panel.
A pupil of Lucas Achtschellinck, he first worked in Brussels, where he was registered as a master in 1698, then returned to Antwerp, where he is mentioned in 1711. He is represented in the museums of Antwerp, Tournai, Vienna (K. M.), Rennes, Rotterdam (B. V. B.) and also in private collections.
Théobald Michau drew his inspiration from Breughel's compositions, while at the same time lending his interpretation the aesthetics of his time. With an eye for detail, he fignolizes figures and scenery in the manner of a miniaturist. He particularly excelled at indicating the succession of shots through the use of side screens and subtle, nuanced chromaticism, which in his case tends towards predominantly blue, green and brown tones, but always very clear, soft and subtle. The painter's careful observation of the animal world, set against a harmonious landscape, reveals a real quality of execution and a delicate naturalism.
Very good condition