A fine pair of Restauration ormolu and patinated bronze Carcel lamps
In the shape of fluted columns adorned with openwork Corinthian capitals, topped with engraved glass globes depicting grapevines.
Paris, circa 1820/1830.
Height under the globe: 57 cm / Total height: 88 cm.
Patented by the clockmaker Guillaume Carcel in October 1800, the Carcel lamp was originally equipped with a clockwork mechanism located in the base, which, coupled with a pump, was responsible for directly sending the burning oil to the burner. The early models were wound up from underneath the base, and from 1810 onwards, the winding square was located on the side, as it was the case with our lamps. Precious and expensive, these mechanical lamps were manufactured by various Parisian establishments, such as Carcel, Gagneau, Gotten, to name a few.
In a classic format in accordance with the lamps invented by Guillaume Carcel, these lamps distinguish themselves, however, with their exceptional quality, particularly in the richness and intricacy of their openwork capitals adorned with highly raised acanthus leaves.
For Carcel lamps featuring identical capitals, please refer to:
- Pierre Bergé & Associés, collection Le Diberder, Drouot Paris le 14/10/2016, n°49
- Christie's Paris, collection Steinitz le 14/11/2007, n°83
Delevery information :
Please contact us upon this matter. For delivery abroad, we will ask door to door transportation to be quoted by independant shipping companies,
9 000 €